Poison Ivy and Disc Golf
Some people get poison ivy, and some people don't. And, some people think they don't get poison ivy until one day a red blistering rash breaks out. Unfortunately, poison ivy reaction can get worse over your life as you are exposed to more of it. Playing disc golf takes us out into the wild where, in Texas, poison ivy lurks on the ground, in bushes, and up the trunks of trees. You can easily pick up poison ivy on your shoes, pants, and disc golf bag as you travel the course, and each time you pick your disc up off the ground, your hands may get exposed, so be careful where you scratch while you're playing disc golf!
How to Clean Up after Disc Golf
- Poison ivy can be washed off within the first few hours of contact, so wash your hands and take a shower if possible after your round.
- Use a poison ivy cleanser soap, such as Tecnu a soap I've used for years (you can get it at Walgrens) that I feel really works to get off any poison ivy. If you know or even think you brushed some poison ivy during your round, wash with Tecnu when you get home.
Long-Term Care, if You Get Poison Ivy
Once you've got it, it will take a week to 10 days to fully clear up. You can hasten the process with steroid creams - see your dermatologist, especially if you get poison ivy on your face or on a large area of your body. The blisters will break and ooze clear or yellow fluid. This can sometimes spread the rash, so be sure to keep the area clean. You can also use other techniques such as waving a hair dryer over the affected area to dry it out; the heat also feels as good as if you've scratched it.
A Last Warning About Poison Ivy
Never burn poison ivy, because it can get airborne and irritate your lungs, which can be life threatening.